Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Grandma's Sugar Cookies

I love making these cookies at Christmas and sometimes at Easter, too. They are so much fun to cut and decorate with my 3 year old son. (I've always enjoyed making these...even before I had kids.) My son liked using the cookie cutters and shaking the sprinkles on. And, of course, he loved eating the cookies!

Here are the ingredients for the cookies:

1/2 cup Crisco
1/2 cup Oleo
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tbsp milk
2 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

Here are the directions:

Mix all of the above ingredients together until well blended. You can use a stand mixer or a hand mixer or, if you really want to, a spoon. Separate the batter into three balls and lightly flour them. Place them in the bowl and refrigerate over night for the best results. This helps when you roll them out the next day to make cut-outs.

The next day, roll out the dough...not too thin...and use cookie cutters or whatever you want. Bake the cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet at 350 for 7-8 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges.

Here are two options for decorating:

(1) Using a pastry brush, put some milk on the cookies and sprinkle with sugar prior to baking. When they come out of the oven, you are done. No more decorating needed. This is nice if you do not have the time to decorate with icing and sprinkles.

(2) Make a simple icing - powdered sugar and water, mix until it is a nice thick but spreadable consistency. Spread on cookies after they have cooled from the oven. Sprinkle with your favorite toppings before the icing dries. I like jimmies, colored sugar, the little multicolored balls. Whatever you find!


Did I enjoy it? Yes. They are traditional sugar cookies and a recipe that has stood the test of time. This was my great-grandmother's recipe.


Would I recommend it? Absolutely! Especially if you have kids who like to help you bake.

Will I make it again?  Yes, I will. Definitely next Christmas when I should have two helpers in the kitchen. Possibly at Easter, too. We'll have to see. 

If you make it, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment