Saturday, December 17, 2011

Chocolate Peppermint Stars

For Christmas this year, I decided to try some new cookie recipes. I found this recipe, Chocolate Peppermint Stars, while looking through my back issues of Bon Appetit magazine.

The dough was very easy to mix up. However, waiting for the dough to chill...especially between cuttings...was rather time consuming. The baking time is quite long, about 25 minutes per tray of cookies.

Because I started these cookies around 8:00 p.m., I did not decorate them the same night. I stored them in a Ziplock bag until the next day.

For the chocolate drizzle, I used semi-sweet morsels. I microwaved them. But they did not get the thinner consistency that I had hoped for. So I went on the trusty internet and found that if you add vegetable shortening (Crisco) to the chocolate when you microwave it, it will get thinner and easier to drizzle. That's a tip to keep! 


I drizzled, I sprinkled, I drizzled. Then I let them set up. The husband thought the cookies were quite tasty. He said that they weren't an overly sweet cookie and he enjoyed that.



Did I enjoy it? I did as did my husband. (My son did not have any because he does not like chocolate. Weird...I know.)


Would I recommend it? I would. They are time-consuming but worth the effort.

Will I make it again?  I will. Probably next Christmas.

If you make it, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment