Sunday, November 27, 2011

Squash Casserole


I made up this recipe a few weeks ago because I was hungry when I went grocery shopping and bought a few different kinds of squash. So, I thought, what can I make with these??? Then I came up with squash casserole.

Here are the ingredients:

1 butternut squash
1 acorn squash
1 zucchini squash
1 yellow squash
1/2 small onion
1 Granny Smith apple
1 Braeburn apple
smoked gouda cheese
parmesan cheese, shredded
Irish block cheese
thyme (dried is fine)
fresh curly parsley (chopped)
salt and pepper

Basically, I cubed all of the above ingredients (except for the parmesan). The cheese does not have exact measurements, I just added however much I felt like at the time. The same with the thyme, salt, and pepper. Just added to taste.

Feel free to omit the onion...the husband thought there was too much the first time I made it. I didn't put any onion in the second time I made it because I knew my sister-in-law would be eating it and she doesn't like onions at all. (And she's pregnant, so I didn't want to upset her with onions!) The third time I made it, I used half of a large shallot. That didn't add a lot of onion flavor, but added a bit.

Then I put it into a large, deep casserole dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. I bake it at 350 until the squash is done...about 45 minutes.


Did I enjoy it? Yes. The smoked gouda really added to the squash.

Would I recommend it? Not to sound modest, but yes, I do recommend it. If any of my readers have had this recipe of mine, feel free to comment whether you liked or not.

Will I make it again? Yes, I will. I made it twice the week of Thanksgiving.

If you make it, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment