Saturday, March 10, 2012

Chicken Mini Empanadas

I wanted an appetizer for my son's first birthday party and I found Chicken Mini Empanadas in my December 2010 issue of Food Network Magazine.

I had some issues with this recipe. The filling was great and rather easy to make...very tasty! I could have just eaten the filling with a fork all by itself.

However, the vessel was terrible!!! I used the premade refrigerated pie crust and cut the 3 inch circles to fill with the chicken mixture. I could not get the empanadas to fold nicely at all. I even tried making squares. It was not good. Here is a picture of the finished product.


The next day (I had some filling left over), I tried making the empanadas with gyoza wrappers. The gyoza wrappers were much easier to fill and fold. I baked them in the oven but they did not look too pretty. I'm going to have to try to pan-fry them or broil them next time.

Did I enjoy it?
I really like the filling. The pie crust vessel, not so much. The gyoza wrapper was better but I have to find a better way to cook it.


Would I recommend it? I would because the filling was so good. But I warn you, the 3 inch  pie crust round is too small. I would make it bigger.

Will I make it again?  I will. I'll let you know if I come up with an easier way to wrap them up.

If you make it, or if you have had it, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment