What you need:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder (this is very important!!! do not use baking soda!!!! see pictures below)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup golden raisins
- 1+ tbsp caraway seeds
Here's what you do:
- preheat the oven to 350
- combine flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl
- in a separate measuring cup or small bowl, beat the eggs with the butttermilk (I use a large measuring cup. I pour in the milk then add the eggs. I use a whisk to beat these two together.)
- add this mixture to the flour mixture and mix with a spoon or spatula
- stir in the raisins and the caraway seeds
- pour the dough onto a lightly floured board and shape the dough into a round loaf, adding flour if necessary
- This dough is very, very sticky!!! I usually use gloves because it is such a pain to wash off my hands. This last time I made this bread, I poured the dough directly into my pan and formed it there. It worked well. But, if this is your first time making this recipe, use the board and for the loaf before you put it in the pan.
- place the loaf in a greased (or cooking sprayed) and floured cast iron skillet
- sprinkle the top of the loaf with caraway seeds
- use a knife to cut an "X" in the top of the loaf (this is not necessary but looks pretty neat)
- bake for about 1 hour (my new oven seems to cook a bit faster, so I started checking the bread after 45 minutes) or until the bottom of the loaf sounds hollow when tapped
Cool the loaf on a cooling rack. Slice and serve with (or without) butter. (I like it with butter!)
|made with baking powder|
|made with baking soda|
|The lighter one is the one made correctly, with baking POWDER!|
Did I enjoy it? I always enjoy this recipe. It doesn't take much time to make and it is so delicious!
Would I recommend it? I would. This is an easy recipe - especially for those who have never made soda bread before. Just be sure to use baking POWDER!!!!
Will I make it again? Absolutely!!!
If you make it, or if you have had it, let me know what you think!