Thursday, March 29, 2012

Corned Beef and Cabbage Stew

For St. Patrick's Day, along with the Irish Soda Bread, I make corned beef and cabbage stew. It is pretty easy to make and quite tasty.

Here are the ingredients:
  • corned beef brisket (most supermarkets sell these with a seasoning packet in the bag.)
  • 3 or 4 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
  • carrots, chunked (I usually use the baby cut carrots because that is what I have on hand and you don't have to peel them!)
  • a bag of parsnips, peeled and chunked
  • 1 onion, cut into about 6 wedges
  • 1 head of cabbage, sliced and chopped
Here's what you do:
  • Place the brisket in a stockpot and cover with water, adding the seasoning packet and juices from the wrapping. Boil for about an hour and a half to two hours...until the meat is done.
  • Remove the brisket and strain the water into another stockpot. Into the water, add the potatoes and bring to a boil. 
  • After about 20 minutes, add the carrots and parsnips. 
    • Meanwhile, slice the brisket and cut into bite-sized cubes. Add the meat to the pot of vegetables.
  • Add the cabbage and onion and cook until the cabbage is tender.
  • Serve alone or with some bread. (I made beer bread from Tastefully Simple. I used a Guinness in it! So tasty!!!) And enjoy!


Did I enjoy it?
Every year I make it! 


Would I recommend it? I would recommend it. As I said, it is easy to make and feeds a lot. I love the flavors and heartiness of this stew. It's great for those sometimes cool March evenings. (Unlike this year when it was like 80 degrees!!!)

Will I make it again?  Next year at St. Patrick's Day! (I really should make it more often than that!)

If you make it, or if you have had it, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment