Saturday, January 28, 2012

Chicken Noodle Soup


I am currently recovering from carpal tunnel surgery and cannot use my hand at the moment. However, my mom made my family some super tasty homemade Chicken Noodle Soup from a combination of her recipe and mine. It was so good...I want to share it with you. 


In a large stockpot, combine: 4 chicken thighs (with skin and bone), 3 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless), 2 boxes of chicken broth, 4 boxes of water (fill the broth boxes with water), 3 ribs of celery, 1 onion (quartered), a sprig or 2 of parsley, and 2 tbsps chicken base. Bring to a boil and simmer for an hour and a half to 2 hours. 


In the meantime, you can chop  into bite-sized cubesabout 3 or 4 potatoes and about a cup of baby cut carrots. 


After the soup has simmered for the hour and a half to 2 hours, using a mesh strainer, strain the broth into another stockpot. Then, strain it again into the original stockpot you cooked the broth in. Taste the broth. It should be pretty flavorful. However, if it isn't to your liking, add more chicken base.


Add the potatoes and carrots to the broth. Cut up the chicken. Be sure to use the yummy thigh meat. (Removing the thigh meat from the skin and bone takes some time and is quite messy but soooo worth it!) Add chicken and some chopped fresh parsley. 


In a separate pot, cook your noodles for the soup. This batch of soup, we made egg noodles. I have also used farfalle (bow-ties). When done, drain noodles and add to chicken soup.


Serve and enjoy!!!


Did I enjoy it? I really did. Chicken soup is so good when you are sick, recuperating, or just wanting to be cozy on a cold winter night.


Would I recommend it?  Yes, I would.

Will I make it again?  Absolutely!

If you make it, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment