Thursday, January 19, 2012

Spicy Mulligatawny

I wanted soup on this cold, wintry night. So, I went to my trusty The Best of Cooking Light cookbook (surprising, I know) and I found this recipe, Spicy Mulligatawny. It looked good and I had most of the ingredients on hand - YAY!


This was an easy soup to assemble. You can chop all of the ingredients before hand - earlier in the day even - and have it ready to put together. You could probably even mix the five dry ingredients together before hand so that all you would have to do is dump it in when it is time.


The ingredients were easy to find. I found the curry powder, ground ginger, and mango chutney in the ethnic section of my local grocery store. This grocery store also sells the brand Badia spices which are a lot cheaper (like a fourth of the price) than the name brand counterpart that everyone knows. Badia is found in the ethnic section of this grocery store as well. 


The only change I made was I used a 32 oz box of broth as opposed to the two 14.5 oz cans. A little more broth. I don't think it made a big difference...the soup was still a nice, thicker consistency.

Did I enjoy it? Yes. Yes, I did. It was sooooo tasty. It was also spicier than I had expected but it was good spicy. My husband thought it was spicy but that it could have been spicier. Too each his own. I think he would have liked it if I had used a spicy mango chutney instead of the sweet chutney. I liked the sweet chutney and I think it would have been too much heat. Again, to each his own.



Each step smelled so good. The sauteing of the apples, onions, carrot, celery, and pepper was delightful. Then that smell changed and got better when the dry ingredients went in. And, oh my, the rest was heavenly. It made me look forward to eating it. That's how good it smelled.


Would I recommend it? Yes, I would especially if you like spicy food.

Will I make it again?  Yes, I will!!!!

If you make it, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment