Sunday, January 8, 2012

Wedding Soup


In an effort to eat a bit more healthily...and not eat so much...the husband and I are eating a lot of soup. So, tonight I made wedding soup. I cannot remember where I got the recipe or from whom - it may have been a cousin. Here it is:


In a large stock pot, combine:

  • 2 boxes chicken broth
  • 3 boxes water (I fill the broth boxes up with water)
  • 4 chicken wings or thighs (I usually use thighs - bone in, skin on)
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Cook for 40 minutes to an hour. Add 2 tbsp chicken base. If you do not have or cannot find chicken base, you can use chicken bullion for the flavoring. I've used bullion in the past and it does work, just not as well. Cook for a half an hour. Taste the broth at this point, add more base if it is needed or desired.

Remove the chicken from the broth, strip the wings/thighs from the bones and skin, cut it up into small, bite-size chunks/pieces.

Prepare the egg mixture.
  • 2 eggs, beat with a fork or a whisk
  • 1/4 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp parsley
    • beat or whisk together
      • add grated Parmesan cheese to the mixture and whisk
        • add enough to make it thick
Prepare the little meatballs.
  • 1/2 - 1 lb ground meat (I use the 92% lean ground beef.)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 - 1 tsp parsley
  • 1 - 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • mix above
    • roll into little tiny meatballs
      • do not precook!
Bring the broth to a boil, turn down the heat. Slowly pour in the egg mixture. Cook for 10 minutes. Cut through egg mixture with a spoon after the 10 minutes have elapsed.

Add to the broth and egg mixture:
  • the cut up chicken
  • chopped carrots (However many you want. I usually use about a cup of the baby cut carrots and cut those into thirds.)
  • 3/4 cup small pasta (I use the little pasta balls. You can use any kind of little pasta that you would like...orzo, small shells, etc...just use however much you want. You do not want to overload the soup with pasta.)
  • spinach (1 package of frozen, chopped spinach - thawed and drained.)
  • little meatballs 
Cook soup until the meatballs are cooked through. 

Serve and enjoy!


Did I enjoy it? I did and so did my husband.



Would I recommend it? I would. As I said, it is tasty and relatively easy - just a bit time consuming when rolling the meatballs and cutting the chicken. I had forgotten how easy it was. The last time I made this soup was about seven years ago. (I kind of forgot about it. Oops!)

Will I make it again?  Yes, I will. And sooner than seven years from now!!! Probably in a few weeks or so. =)

If you make it, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment