Sunday, February 5, 2012

Beef Vegetable Soup


We are continuing with the soup dinners for awhile. Today, my Husband helped me make my beef vegetable soup recipe. This soup is so easy and, if you make enough, will last for a week in the fridge.


First, in a large stock pot, add a large bottle or can of tomato juice. Fill that bottle/can with water and add to the pot. Use at least one box of beef broth. Fill that box with water and add it to the pot. Depending on how large your stock pot is, you may want to add another box of broth or can of juice plus water. 


To the liquid, add an English cut shoulder roast. (These are good for soup. And pulled roast beef sandwiches, but that is a recipe for another day.) Trim the fat from the meat and cut into large chunks. Also add an onion or two, cut into quarters, and a few ribs of celery. Throw in some salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, then simmer until the meat is done. The meat should pull apart rather easily. 


When the meat is cooked, pull out the meat, onion, and celery. You may need to strain the broth. Discard the onion and celery. Taste the broth...it may or may not need more salt and pepper.


Shred the meat with a fork and add it back to the broth.  Add some chopped potatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes. Then, add a two pound package of frozen cut vegetables and a package of frozen soup vegetables. I also add extra corn, green beans, and carrots. (Canned or fresh or frozen...whatever you have on hand at the time.) Basically, add whatever vegetables you like in soup and however many as you want!


Cook until the potatoes are fork tender, and that vegetables are to your liking.


Serve with bread or some shaved Parmesan cheese or all by itself.




Did I enjoy it? I always enjoy this soup. It has a great flavor to it and, really, what is better than a steaming bowl of beef and veggies in a warm, tasty broth.


Would I recommend it? Yes, I would.

Will I make it again?  Yes. We've already made this soup one other time this year.

If you make it, let me know what you think! Or if you make a variation, let me know what you did! I'm always looking for ways to improve my recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment